Fort Ligonier - Ligonier, PA

Well hey there!

I hope you are continuing to stay safe and well during this craziest of times!

Of course, a great portion of this blog is documenting my travels, particularly my travels to history sites and my many adventures in living history, performing historical music and reenacting. Sadly, though, due to the current Covid-19 events surrounding our world, the first 2020 events have either been cancelled or postponed. But that does not mean I am without material!

Now one site that I have ventured to quite frequently is Fort Ligonier. Between participating with my French Unit in Fort Ligonier Days, performing for their Cannon Ball and Twelfth Night Celebration with the music group Wayward Companions, or taking in a lecture, I have enjoyed my time at Fort Ligonier along with being a member of the organization!

Fort Ligonier's history is one written as "the Fort that held the fate of an empire", according to their website. It was constructed after Fort Duquesne fell to the British in November of 1758 and named the finest reconstructed fortification from the French and Indian War.


I love this painting of Queen Charlotte!






Today, Fort Ligonier is a wonderful educational site that aims to inform the public on the role it played in not only the French and Indian War, but in how it made the city of Pittsburgh possible. :)

FORT LIGONIER DAYS

This annual event has been in operation since 1960 is a town wide festival commemorating the October 12, 1758 Battle at Fort Ligonier. It is also the town's largest reenactment with battles and encampments (you can catch my French unit, Compagnie LeBoeuf among those camping and participating in the battles) all stationed at the Fort. There are also demonstrations of occupations that were quite prominent in mid 18th century life.

Before the event. Setting up the encampments!
The beehive bake oven used by our unit's master baker
Me with very much needed coffee which was provided in a VIP room for reenactors

our unit's master baker Ed does his thing
mirror selfie at one of the display areas in the museum
Barbara and Kristin, members of the French army! :)

Local historian and artist Robert Griffing signs copies of his latest book
A display of Robert Griffing's art
Ed bakes bread for the public


a visit with the blacksmith
The French assemble to fight the Brits
The British (aka "the enemy" :P ) 

My girls!
Erica Nuckles (Fort Ligonier Director), Sally Nuckles, Laura Mason Lockard
the pea soup that our unit had for dinner
Around the fire...
one of my favorite items from the gift shop. The Field Marshall John Ligonier coffee mug!


The John Ligonier mug with other cool items I bought from the Fort Ligonier gift shop:
The Colonial Blend Coffee by Oliver Pluff &Co.
A Celtic Music CD (always buying new music for inspiration!)

Fort Ligonier Days is a great event to partake in (as well as attend!) and one of the next times I participate, I intend to be in the midst of the battle scenes as a soldier instead of being at camp as a civilian or camp follower. 
I have been working on my soldier's persona (my first male impression within the living history world) despite this year's events being so up in the air at this point, but I do plan to document some of my research and preparations on creating my French soldier's impression. :)

LECTURES

So now onto some of the other events offered by Fort Ligonier.

One of the lectures I attended there was Dr. Erica Nuckles' lecture titled Martha Before George. It was a very fascinating lecture about Martha Washington's (nee Dandridge) life and her first marriage before she met and married George.

Fun fact: Martha was almost a year older than George, who was her second marriage when she was 27 and he was still 26. Her first marriage was at age 18 to Daniel Park Custis.




Dr. Erica Nuckles gives her lecture to a captivated crowd


ANNUAL TWELFTH NIGHT CELEBRATION

And last but certainly not least, is the Annual Twelfth Night Celebration that takes place on the first Saturday of every January. The first Twelfth Night Celebration at Fort Ligonier took place back in 2018 and was such a hit that they have had it every January since then. Since it's inception, the music group Wayward Companions (in which I am vocalist and percussionist) have provided the musical accompaniment for the dancing and the entertainment during the mingling and hors d'eouvres. It is an event that I and many others - including my bandmates - look forward to every year.

 George Washington and I partying 18th Century style

 Now we're being the proper gentry that we are

 Pre show selfie!

 Now hanging out with Ben Franklin

 From the stage view of the dancing!

Pre show! After the hair came down from the pincurls and before they went up into the 18th century 'do. :D


 And last but not least, my girls in the Fort Ligonier Museum Gift Shop keep me well supplied with Oliver Pluff & Co.'s Colonial Blend Coffee!

As we wait out this next month to see what it will bring, I hope that this post finds everyone well. And WHEN we do come out of this and are able to freely go out and about, Fort Ligonier is one of many places that will be worth checking out and visiting. The staff is extremely knowledgeable and the programming is superb. And Fort Ligonier Days is an experience in itself. 
But until then, stay safe!
xo,
Tiffany






*******

Thanks for watching! Go on a musical adventure with me through time where for five days I'll send you a new song or story, and a personal email from me! https://tiffanyapancelticgothicrock.mailchimpsites.com/

+++ FACEBOOK: http://facebook.com/tiffanyapanmusic
+++ WEBSITE: http://tiffanyapan.com
+++ INSTAGRAM: http://instagram.com/tiffanyapanmusic




Comments