Take 5 with Historical Fiction and Horror Author, William P. Robertson






TA: First, for those not yet familiar with your work, tell a little about yourself.

WR: After I graduated from Mansfield University in Pennsylvania with a BS in English, I spent several years teaching in public schools. It was then that I wrote a lot of dark poetry. Ha! Ha! Now, that I've started my own house painting business and concentrate more on my writing, I'm in a much better place. I also get to use the BS part of my college degree a lot more! When I'm not working, I enjoy taking photos of spooky McKean County where I live and trout fishing in the wild mountain streams of Northwestern Pennsylvania.


TA: Who were some of your earliest influennces?

WR: My earliest writing influences include Edgar Allan Poe, Ernest Hemingway, and Jim Morrison of the Doors. It was Morrison's lyrics that unlocked the power of words for me. His imagery was and is amazing! I've always enjoyed Hemingway's journalistic writing style because it makes his historical fiction novels fun to read. I tried to adopt some of his narrative economy into my own work. From Poe, on the other hand, I learned how to create an eerie atmosphere in my horror stories by piling on sensory details. From these three authors, I've created my own unique brand of storytelling that has sold over 13,000 books over the years.


TA: Which came first for you; horror or history?

WR: History came first for me because my dad was big into military history. We used to mold lead soldiers together when I was a small boy and then paint them in the authentic uniforms of a certain war.  We especially loved the American Revolution and made big armies of Redcoats and colonials that included infantry, cavalry, riflemen, and artillery. After our armies were all finished, we had a grand review of them and then pitched them into battle using rubber tipped darts to shoot each other's soldiers down. What a great way to teach a child history!




 TA: Do you see a difference between how history was taught while you were growing up vs. now, and is there anything you hope readers will gain from your stories?

WR: Today, history is being watered down and made more politically correct. In my day, we learned the true facts. I think it's wrong that Southern Civil War monuments have been vilified and ripped down.They (Unions and Confederates) were all Americans who fought for what they believed in. Southern heritage shouldn't be destroyed or swept under the rug. We can still learn a lot from it both good and bad. If you gloss over the horrors of history, you're bound to repeat them!
Through my writing, I'm trying to preserve the folklore and history of Western Pennsylvania. Being a former teacher, I want my readers to learn something every time they read one of my books. I always go overboard on researching and editing to create as accurate a story as possible.



TA: And finally, the time for shameless self promotion. What are some current projects or new releases coming up? Plug away!

WR: My 40th book will soon be released! Titled LOST, it's a collection of dark poetry and photos. I'm also working on a "greatest hits" collection of my horror stories. I call it FEAR IS FOREVER. It's almost ready to send to the publisher!
For more information about my writing, please visit http://www.bucktailsandbroomsticks.com and http://www.thehorrorhaven.com. All my books are for sale on my William P. Robertson Amazon.com author page. 

Thanks, Tiffany, for giving me the opportunity to discuss my work!



***********


Thank you for reading! Go on a five day journey through time with me and receive a song or mystical story each day!
Begin your journey here:

ANTIQUITY & ILLUSION SHOP: https://antiquityillusion.bigcartelcom/

OTHER MUSICAL PROJECTS:
WAYWARD COMPANIONS: http://wayward-companions.com
PITTSBURGH HISTORICAL MUSIC SOCIETY: http://pittsburghhistoricalmusicsociety.org

Comments