Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village (Avella, PA)

Hey there!

So about two weekends ago, I had the pleasure of performing with my Wayward Companions bandmate, Tom Crytzer at the Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village for their 48th Annual Covered Bridge Festival.
Most of my period music gigs tend to fall into the mid-late 18th century eras, but for this one, they wanted us to be more along the lines of mid 19th century/Civil War. Since most of my period clothing is 18th century (I also have a few Edwardian and some early-mid 20th century pieces), I had to borrow a mid 19th century dress. Thankfully, I'm in the Pittsburgh Historical Costume Society and therefore know many many people with all sorts of period clothing. So after a few rehearsals, Tom and I were set.

So on the morning of September 15, I set out to meet Tom at an in between place.


The drive was very scenic and gorgeous, as was the Rockshelter and historic village upon our arrival. We played in an old church in the village, as a sort of 'musical exhibit' to visitors. So the performances were continuous as visitors entered the church.


Inside the church before visitors arrived


I was also able to get a quick shot of the cabin house out the window

It was quite busy that Saturday, with Tom and I playing almost constantly. But we were able to take a little break (my voice also needed a little rest!) and take in some of the scenery. The first stop was the log house.




 Inside the log house

 Maria, a Meadowcroft history interpreter who was stationed in the log house

Next up was the schoolhouse. I was looking forward to seeing this as I have been schoolmarm many times at the Depreciation Lands Museum.

 the Meadowcroft historic village schoolhouse

 the teacher's desk

 a creepy antique doll in the schoolhouse, that I of course had to get a photo of

 schoolmarm Maddie (one schoolmarm to another!)

As the first day of the festival drew to a close, my voice was almost ready to give out. Thankfully, the site gave us free ice cream, which was very much welcomed by my tired throat.



 Tom Crytzer in his 19th century clothing

me in mid 19th century mode

The following day (Sunday and the last day of the festival), Tom and I were back in the church, playing music for visitors venturing in to the church. Both days we had some great crowds come in that seemed to enjoy what we were doing.
Sunday was pretty steady, though not as busy as Saturday was, so there was a little more time to sight see.



the blacksmith's shop




 a beautiful covered bridge

I really enjoyed and appreciated the opportunity to perform at this event. Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village is a great place and I definitely recommend visiting. The history behind how it came to be is also pretty fascinating. It is also run by the Heinz History Center, and you can check them out at their website:



**********


Thank you for reading! Go on a five day journey through time with me and receive a song or mystical story each day!
Begin your journey here:
http://eepurl.com/bdbasn

ANTIQUITY & ILLUSION SHOP: https://antiquityillusion.bigcartelcom/

OTHER MUSICAL PROJECTS:
WAYWARD COMPANIONS: http://wayward-companions.com
PITTSBURGH HISTORICAL MUSIC SOCIETY: http://pittsburghhistoricalmusicsociety.org

Comments