Bushy Run Battlefield (Jeannette, PA)

Greetings!

August has been a rather interesting month. My traditional music group, Wayward Companions, is taking some down time from gigs and for the most part, August this year is a downtime kind of month (save for rehearsals and a couple film shoots). But how we utilize our downtime is what matters and yes, sometimes you do need a little R&R, though with the Lion's Portal occurring a couple days ago, this is a time to step outside the box a little and take on new challenges. Which is interesting because I had every intent of using this month to tackle new and unfinished projects. Wayward Companions and I are taking action to take what we are doing up a notch, along with me looking for ways to do that with my own stuff. I am wanting to shake things up a bit with my fitness routines and coming up with more fun ways of eating clean. I'm an 80/20 girl when it comes to my eating, meaning that 80% of the time I eat healthfully and 20% of the time I indulge. I'm thinking of changing it up to 85/15 instead and seeing how I do, but I digress :) . So really, downtime month is more of a regrouping time month. Plotting the next move month. In the midst of it all, though, I still find time to get myself out to some cool events in the history realm, even if I didn't dress in period clothing for the last two.
Last Saturday was such a day when I ventured to Bushy Run Battlefield for the 255th anniversary of the Battle at Bushy Run. I hung out with friends and got to know some new cool people, which is part of why I love these events!

On the Saturday morning that I went out to Bushy Run, I did have a couple errands I needed to do first and my original plan was to set out at 8am, do what I needed to do and then be at Bushy Run at 10am when it opened. But after a great but hectic July, my body had other ideas and it just wasn't having me getting up any earlier than 8am. So I ended up being an hour behind schedule and instead set out at 9am.


Me at 9am when I set out

After getting done what I needed to, I finally went out to Bushy Run and ended up arriving at around 11am, which was all good.
A quick shot of the British encampment after I arrived before heading over to my friends' (Claus and Truax Jackware) sutler tent

a view from the inside of Claus and Truax Jackware

the Clause and Truax guard turtle working hard to keep thieves and looters at bay

This was my second year at Bushy Run (last year I camped) so while it wasn't a new location for me, it is still quite beautiful and I always love taking in the scenery. The Native encampment is always especially nice to behold.


Native encampment

In addition, the museum was also open to the public and yes, it was crowded.

the museum's exterior

But I still got some pretty nice shots of the interior.



After a couple hours, I needed a coffee break, so I some at one of the concession stands. They also tempted me with a Klondike bar. So I caved and got one of those as well.

coffee and ice cream are a lovely combination...and for those wondering, yes, this was part of the 20% of my 80/20 eating rule :P

Now for the really fun stuff and my favorite part. Yep, that would be the awesome sutlers and blanket traders!
When I first got to the Claus and Truax tent, I was immediately drawn to the tent beside them as it boasted some really lovely items. The tent was that of Penny River Historic and Custom Costumes and I purchased the following from her:

the beautiful neckerchief that I purchased from her

Penny River is owned by proprietor, Jessica Young, who also worked for Colonial Williamsburg (so you know her stuff is the top notch realm). Not only is she talented, but also a lovely person and I enjoyed hanging out at her tent and chatting for a bit.

Jess and I in the Penny River sutler tent

I also couldn't resist taking some photos of her lovely displays.
Seriously, what's not to love??

I am totally getting me one of these cool "Time Traveler" shirts in the very near future :)

Jess has an Etsy shop, along with an Instagram and Facebook page. Check her out as she is a must follow. 

In addition to some awesome sutlers, these events also have some nice blanket traders. The great thing about blanket traders is that you can often purchase some very good gently used items for a reduced price. Not too far from the Penny River tent was a trader whose blanket had all kinds of cool and for great prices too!

I have a weakness for wooden boxes. This was adorable and when I saw that it came with a small rose inside I couldn't resist :)
I also found some new reading material, THE FIRST FOUR GEORGES and A FRIEND AMONG THE SENECA. I might do a write up or vlog on these books after reading them. 

all the trader had to offer :)

 Since many blanket traders are not businesses in the way that the sutlers are, a lot of them don't really have links on the web. But if you are at any historical event, do stop by a few and see what they have to offer. :)

I ended up having to leave Bushy Run an hour before the event closed due to other plans I had that evening, but just as I did last year, I enjoyed my time there. It is a beautiful site that is rich in history and a definite must visit. Check out more information at their website and see what they have going on throughout the rest of the season!


Up next will be a blog post on one of my favorite cosmetic lines in the Health and Beauty section. A post on a line of vintage inspired makeup. :)

Comments

  1. Hi Tiffany, my re-enacting group was in the Brit camp (Highlanders). Glad you enjoyed the day. Bushy Run is a great site. Would have liked to have browsed the book guy's stuff a little more! Take care and best of luck with your fall schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary! Thanks for stopping by and yes,Bushy Run is a great site with a lot of history that needs told. Yeah the blanket trader had a lot of great books but alas I only had so much cash on me. Thank you again for stopping by and perhaps we'll run into each other at a future event. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment