History Speaks with Celtic Ceol (and Episode 9 of Inside the Labyrinth) at Bushy Run Battlefield



In episode 9, I sit down with Nancy and Larry Podey of Celtic Ceol after their concert at Bushy Run Battlefield, for the site's History Speaks Series. We discuss some of their favorite Celtic pieces, along with their favorite ghostly tales of ancient lore.
Also, please excuse the banging in the background. This conversation took place after the performance when the staff was putting away chairs and clearing out the room, so it does get a little loud in some parts. It does kind of harken back to the horror conventions and rock and metal concerts when you're interviewing people in the midst of all the fun chaos. :D
I attended this event with another friend from the living history and reenactment community.

quick selfie taken just before I left for the evening

I have had the pleasure of working with some of the members of Celtic Ceol in the Pittsburgh Historical Music Society. Our group, Wayward Companions has also shared the stage with them at a couple events and it is always a pleasure to watch and listen to them.

Before arriving at Bushy Run, we stopped at the very awesome Burgatory for supper. If you haven't been there, you're missing out. I very highly recommend their Elk Gone Wild burger.


me being 'that guy' who takes a photo of their meal before consuming it

And for those wondering, yes I did keep the pitchfork that stabbed my elk burger. And yes, it will make an appearance in a future Halloween episode. :)


The entire area of Bushy Run Battlefield is America's only recognized Native American battlefield and very beautiful, especially in the early evening. Upon entering the museum (where the performance took place), it is all decked out for autumn and the Halloween season.


inside the museum's entrance

The History Speaks series is part of the many events that the site offers and Celtic Ceol wove stories and music to create a pretty amazing evening.



clips from the concert


Celtic Ceol in action



The entire evening was overall very enjoyable and I also ran into a couple more friends from the living history and reenacting world after the performance! We all hung out for a while and then I conducted my podcast interview with Larry and Nancy Podey after the crowd had dispersed.

I will also add that as I left and stepped out into the night, there was a beautiful eeriness about the site that I enjoyed taking in as I walked back to my car. :)


As of now, Celtic Ceol is working on their web presence (and we will keep you posted on that).

But definitely check out Bushy Run Battlefield and if you have a chance to visit, do it! :)




**********


Thank you for reading! Go on a five day journey through time with me and receive a song or mystical story each day!
Begin your journey here:

ANTIQUITY & ILLUSION SHOP: https://antiquityillusion.bigcartelcom/

OTHER MUSICAL PROJECTS:
WAYWARD COMPANIONS: http://wayward-companions.com
PITTSBURGH HISTORICAL MUSIC SOCIETY: http://pittsburghhistoricalmusicsociety.org

Comments