Book Review: Trusting Darkness by Eva Fairwald



Trusting Darkness
by Eva Fairwald

Synopsis (in the author's/publisher's words)

Captain Ella Dorsh is tough, skilled and… screwed. She is pretty sure that the enemy is leading the game and that war is going to reach the surface very soon, but humans are not ready yet.
The Underkingdom is impoverished and its population of dark elves wants to conquer the world and rule. Ella and the other “Reborn Divisions” are the only real chance to fight the enemy on the same level: elves against elves to spare precious human lives. However, nothing is as simple as it seems and darkness hides more than Ella had ever imagined.

The story is set in our world in a near future. It has some sci-fi and dystopian elements and a strong female lead that will kick your ass!
This novel is about Elvish soldiers caught in the middle of something too big to avoid and about dangerous secrets that will change life and history forever. 


I was actually really looking forward to reading this book when it was sent to me. I loved the cover (to me, it was reminiscent of the old comic book and sci-fi novel covers) and the premise sounded like a fun and interesting read.
What first struck me about this book is how the author chose to establish the characters and their relationships. One thing that I do find lacking in many modern paranormal and dystopian stories is a lack of character development and establishing. Fairwald, on the other hand, takes the time to really show who the people are and therefore, make them relatable, understandable, and ones you can empathize and sympathize with. And I also feel that those seeking out a strong female lead to read about will not be disappointed in Captain Ella Dorsch.
The scenes and settings are beautifully constructed and the plot and pacing of the story - overall - flows very well.
There were a couple scenes where I felt the reader could have still gotten the point if some details were shortened, but overall, I found this to be a very exciting and page turning read, and it has a nice blend of sci-fi, fantasy, romance, and dystopian elements.
If anyone were to ask me to compare this book to anything, I would say it's Lord of the Rings meets Battlestar Galactica. I would also recommend adding it to your summer reading list.

Eva Fairwald Online:
Official Website
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads
Official Blog

Buy Trusting Darkness:
Amazon



If you would like to join our community and receive content exclusive to email, join our little tribe and Subscribe to my Messages from the Labyrinth Mailing List.. We promise to never share your info or spam you. Ever.

You can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel for new vlogging updates.


******

My stories, "The Cemetery by the Lake" and "Dusk to Dawn" are available at Smashwords and Barnes & Noble NOOK. More retailers will follow, but Smashwords is pretty compatible with most e-reader and PC formats.
and Amazon
"The Cemetery by the Lake" at Smashwords and Barnes & Noble NOOK
"Dusk to Dawn" at Smashwords
Tiffany on Goodreads
My music is also available at CDBaby
Support great authors and independent bookstores at Smashwords and Indiebound
  

Comments